Von: Marko Ciciliani
Betreff: IEM Music Residency Program 2017 – Call for Applications
Datum: Thu, 2 Jun 2016
Univ.-Prof. Marko Ciciliani, PhD
IEM – Institut für elektronische Musik und Akustik
Inffeldgasse 10/3, A-8010 Graz
T +43 (0) 316 / 389-3174
IEM Music Residency Program 2017 – Call for Applications
The IEM – Institute of Electronic Music and Acoustics – in Graz, Austria
is happy to announce its call for the 2017 Artist-in-Residence program.
The residency is aimed at individuals wishing to pursue projects in
performance, composition, installation and sound art, development of
tools for art production and related areas. Individuals are asked to
submit a project proposal that is related to the fields of artistic
research of the IEM, as:
– Spatialization/higher-order Ambisonics
– Sonic Interaction Design
– Algorithmic Composition
– Algorithmic Experimentation
– Standard and non-standard Sound Synthesis
– Live Coding
Duration of residency: 5 months
Start date: June 1st 2017 (negotiable)
Monthly salary: approx. EUR 1100 (net)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 1st of October 2016
The Institute of Electronic Music and Acoustics is a department of the
University of Music and Performing Arts Graz founded in 1965. It is a
leading institution in its field, with more than 25 staff members of
researchers and artists. IEM offers education to students in composition
and computer music, sound engineering, contemporary music performance
and musicology. It is well connected to the University of Technology,
the University of Graz as well as to the University of Applied Sciences
Joanneum through three joint study programs.
The artwork produced at IEM is released through the Institute’s own
OpenCUBE and Signale concert series, as well as through various
collaborations with international artists and institutions.
IEM’s main activities are centered around the following research areas
– Computer Music
– Artistic Research
– Signal Processing and Acoustics
What we expect from applicants:
– A project proposal that adds new perspectives to the Institute’s
activities and resonates well with the interests of IEM.
– Willingness to work on-site in Graz for the most part of the Residency.
– Willingness to exchange and share ideas, knowledge and results with
IEM staff members and students, and engage in scholarly discussions.
– The ability to work independently within the Institute.
– A dissemination strategy as part of the project proposal that ensures
the publication of the work, or documentation thereof, in a suitable
format. This could be achieved for example through the release of media,
journal or conference publication, a project website or other means that
help to preserve the knowledge gained through the Music Residency and
make it available to the public.
– A public presentation as e.g. a concert or installation, which
presents the results of the Artist Residency.
What we offer:
– 24/7 access to the facilities of the IEM.
– Exchange with competent and experienced staff members.
– A desk in a shared office space for the entire period and access to
studios including the CUBE which has a 24-channel loudspeaker system and
infrared motion tracking, according to availability.
– During the period from July 1st until end of September the resident
will have extensive access to the studios of the IEM.
– Regular possibilities for contact and exchange with peers from similar
or other disciplines.
– Infrastructure (electroacoustic music studios, icosahedral loudspeaker
array, motion capture technology).
– Concert and presentation facilities (CUBE 24 channel loudspeaker
– A monthly salary of approx. EUR 1100 net per month in addition to
health and accident insurance.
What we cannot offer to the successful applicant:
– We can not provide any housing.
– We also cannot provide continuous assistance and support, although the
staff is generally willing to help where possible.
– We can not offer any additional financial support for travel or
An application form providing more information is available at
Feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.