Von: Lepa, Steffen via ak discourse
Datum: Tue, 7 Mar 2023
Betreff: [ak-discourse] PhD/Postdoc opportunity in Würzburg, Germany
I recently started as a professor at University of Würzburg, Germany, where I am currently building up a new research group on MIR and Computational Humanities:
The group is embedded into the AI center CAIDAS, the Institute of Computer Science, and the interdisciplinary Center for Philology and Digitality (ZPD):
We now offer an opportunity for a researcher position at the PhD student or PostDoc level (to start as soon as possible).
Remuneration will be based on the collective agreement for the public service of German federal states (TV-L).
The position will deal with the following tasks:
* Development and evaluation of signal processing and machine learning tools for music and audio data
* Apply such tools for research in MIR, computational musicology, and the digital humanities (corpus analysis)
* Support teaching activities (exercises, seminars, labs, theses) for computer science, AI, and digital humanities study programs
The following qualifications are required:
* A master’s degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field
* For PostDoc level: A PhD in MIR, computational musicology, signal processing, machine learning, or a related field
* A strong mathematical background
* Basic knowledge and a passion for music (theory) or another cultural domain
* Good programming skills in Python (and optionally other languages)
* Practical experience with Python-based deep-learning frameworks
* Ability and willingness to closely collaborate within an interdisciplinary team
German language skills are beneficial but not mandatory.
The University of Würzburg is an equal opportunity employer. As such, we explicitly encourage applications from qualified women.
Severely handicapped applicants will be given preferential consideration in the case of broadly equal suitability, ability and professional achievements.
Würzburg is a vibrant town located by the river Main in northern Bavaria, between Frankfurt and Nuremberg (each about 1h by train). The mix of stunning historical architecture and the young population is what makes the atmosphere so unique, including 35,000 students from three different universities.
Please email your application (CV, short motivation letter, supporting documents) to
Please contact me if you have further questions!
All the best,
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Christof Weiß
Hubland Nord | 97074 Würzburg
Tel.: +49 (0) 931 31 80528