Von: Gerhard Eckel
Datum: Thu, 26 Jan 2023
Betreff: IEM Music Residency Programs 2023 – Call for Applications
IEM Music Residency Programs 2023 – Call for Applications
University of Music and Performing Arts Graz (KUG)
The IEM – Institute of Electronic Music and Acoustics – in Graz, Austria is happy to announce its calls for its 2023 residency program.
You can apply for two different residencies: the Artistic Residency (1) and the Artistic Research Residency (2).
(1) Artistic Residency
The residency is aimed at individuals wishing to pursue projects in performance, composition, installation, sound art, development of tools for art production, and related areas. Individuals are asked to submit a project proposal that is related to the following research fields of the IEM:
* Algorithmic Composition
* Algorithmic Experimentation
* Dynamical Systems
* Experimental Game Design
* Live Coding
* Sonic Interaction Design
* Spatialization/higher-order Ambisonics
* Standard and non-standard Sound Synthesis
Duration of residency: 3 months
Start date: June 1st 2023 (negotiable)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 28th 2023
Please reply to the official call by KUG:
https://shorturl.at/lxRU2 (in German and English)
(2) Artistic Research Residency
The residency is aimed at individuals wishing to pursue an artistic research project in close collaboration with an IEM staff member and related to the research fields of the IEM (see list above under (1)).
Duration of residency: 3 months
Start date: September 1st 2023 (negotiable)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 30th 2023
Please reply to the official call by KUG: https://shorturl.at/dlrDK (in German and English)
The Institute of Electronic Music and Acoustics is a department of the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz founded in 1965. It is a leading institution in its field, with more than 35 staff members of researchers and artists. IEM offers education to students in composition and computer music, sound engineering, sound design, contemporary music performance, and musicology. It is well connected to the University of Technology, the University of Graz as well as to the University of Applied Sciences Joanneum through three joint study programs.
The project results will be released through the Institute’s own Open CUBE and Signale concert series, as well as through various collaborations with international artists and institutions.
What we expect from applicants:
– A project proposal that adds new perspectives to the Institute’s activities and resonates well with the interests of IEM.
– Willingness to work on-site in Graz for the most part of the Residency.
– Willingness to exchange and share ideas, knowledge and results with IEM staff members and students, and engage in scholarly discussions.
– The ability to work independently within the Institute.
– A dissemination strategy as part of the project proposal that ensures the publication of the work, or documentation thereof, in a suitable format. This could be achieved for example through the release of media, journal or conference publication, a project website, or other means that help to preserve the knowledge gained through the Residency and make it available to the public.
– A public presentation as e.g. a concert or installation, which presents the results of the Residency.
What we offer:
– 24/7 access to the facilities of the IEM.
– Exchange with competent and experienced staff members.
– A desk in a shared office space for the entire period and access to studios including the CUBE , according to availability.
– Extensive access to the studios of the IEM during the period from July 1st until end of September.
– access to the IKOsahedron loudspeaker 
– access to the “Autoklavierspieler” 
– infrared motion tracking systems
– Regular possibilities for contact and exchange with peers from similar or other disciplines.
– Concert and presentation facilities (CUBE 30 channel loudspeaker concert space).
– A monthly salary of approx. EUR 1100 net per month in addition to health and accident insurance.
What we cannot offer to the successful applicant:
– We can not provide any housing.
– We also cannot provide continuous assistance and support, although the staff is generally willing to help where possible.
– We can not host artist duos or groups, because of spatial limitations.
– We can not offer any additional financial support for travel or material expenses.
Feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.