Von: Artemi – Maria Gioti
Datum: Thu, 26 Apr 2018
Betreff: Call for Artist-in-residence | IEM, Graz
Call for Artist-in-residence | IEM, Graz
Inter_agency is an artistic research project funded by the Austrian Science Fund (PEEK AR 483) and hosted at the Institute of Electronic Music and Acoustics (IEM) of the University of Music and Performing Arts of Graz. The focus of the project lies in the compositional exploration of intelligent agent-based systems and the application of machine listening and machine learning in interactive electro-instrumental compositions.
For our 2018 residency program, we seek project proposals that add new perspectives to our research topic. We invite composers, sound artists and performers to submit proposals related, but not limited, to one of the following topics:
– Interactive improvisation and performance systems
– Applications of AI and machine learning in composition and performance
– Machine listening based systems for generative music
– Real-time composition
The selected applicant is expected to work on-site at the Institute of Electronic Music and Acoustics (IEM) in Graz on a composition, installation or performance which will be presented at the IEM during the residency. The artist-in-residence will be part of our research team and will receive support from a scientific collaborator from the field of machine learning, as well as the two main artistic researchers, Artemi – Maria Gioti and Gerhard Eckel. The selected applicant is also expected to provide a documentation of the work developed during the residency, the format of which is open (conference publication, online documentation, research report, media release etc.)
What we offer:
– A shared work space in one of our offices
– 24/7 access to our facilities (according to availability) including office spaces, studios and a concert venue equipped with a 3D higher order Ambisonics system and a 3D motion tracking system
– Support by staff and faculty members
– Technical support by a machine learning expert
– A net salary of approx. EUR 1300 per month, as well as health and accident insurance
– Fees for up to 2 musicians involved in the realisation of the proposed project (for available instruments see Schallfeld Ensemble)
Note: Housing, travel and material costs related to the submitted project will not be covered. The residency can not be split in shorter periods.
Start date: October 1. 2018 (negotiable)
Duration: 4 months
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 30. 2018
The host institution:
The Institute of Electronic Music and Acoustics (IEM) of the University of Music and performing Arts Graz is one of Europe’s leading research institutions in the fields of computer music, acoustics and audio engineering. In addition to its versatile research background, covering fields from spatial audio and sonification to algorithmic composition and interaction design, the host institution will provide its state-of-the-art facilities both as lab spaces and concert venues. For more information on the host institution, please visit the IEM homepage.
Any composer, sound artist or performer working with interactive or agent-based systems, with or without prior experience in machine learning is eligible to apply. Applications can be submitted by individual artists only. KUG students, faculty and staff members and are not eligible to apply for this residency.
To apply for the residency please send the following material to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 30. 2018:
– A completed application form
– A project proposal (1000-2000 words), explaining the relevance of the proposed project to our research topic and including an abstract of approx. 150 words.
– A short CV (max 2 pages) including selected works and publications
– Links to 2 previous works (audio or video recordings, scores, sketches etc.)
If you have any questions, please address them to the same email address.
The selected applicant will be notified by email by June 30. 2018.